Sunday, July 24, 2005

A Nifty Gifty

In one of my other activities, I was the president of a group where there was a tradition to give a gift to the Board of Directors members when you left office.

These gifts, which often run as high fifty bucks apiece, usually are plaques or certificates mounted on plaques, or lucite statuettes. As an incorrigible volunteer, I had received more of these certificates than I had room for on my wall(s). Moreover, since the work I did as volunteer board member was the motivation for the volunteering, I didn't really feel comfortable posting a certificate or plaque saluting myself or my contribution.

So I thought others might also have enough of these things tucked away in file drawers and storage boxes that they didn't need another one.

What I did instead was to give each member of the Board a Zuni bear fetish carving with a little card explaining Zuni fetish carvings and how they - especially bears - are believed to add strength, wisdom and healing power to the person who owns and "cares" for them. (Yeah, I also ran off a few a thank you certificates at Kinko's. )

When I handed these carvings out at the last meeting on my presidency, the response was very appreciative. Recipients also applauded my creativity in thinking outside the plaque.

Just the other day, I ran into one of these former Directors in another place. Within a few minutes, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the fetish carving he has been carrying ever since. He thanked me profusely and mentioned that he thought this was one of the most memorable tributes he had ever received.

At the risk of appearing self-serving in this observation and suggestion, I will mention that any purveyor of Zuni fetish carvings - and there are many, as Googling "zuni fetish carvings" will demonstrate - can fulfill an order for multiple fetish carvings. By the way, one of the nice things about them is that they are all different. Similar, but unique, so everyone is not receiving "the same thing."

To make it easy for anyone reading this blogletter who thinks this would be good idea for the next round of gifts, Zuni Link (our Web site - http://www.ZuniLink.com ) will provide some special services. Any order of two or more carvings will be shipped at our expense. Any order of five or more also will receive a 15% discount off the regular price. If you request it, we will ship them in gift boxes for presentation. Simply include in your order that these will be gifts.
~~~~~~~
Thank you for reading this Tribal Artery blogletter from Aboriginals: Art of the First Person. To subscribe, go to feedburner.com, bloglines.com or click on one of the RSS, Atom, XMl or other icons at the lower right hand side of the page.

By the way, also, we appreciate feedback so feel free to comment.

No comments: