Saturday, May 12, 2007

Speaking of Native tongues – Wisconsin Oneidas create a language Web site.

According to the US Census of 2000, just 553 individuals speak the Oneida language, with 429 of them living in Wisconsin.

In an effort to perpetuate what would otherwise be a dying language, the University of Wisconsin at Green bay has created a web site, in collaboration with a tribal elder from Oneida, to promote and sustain the language of the Oneida. Professor Clifford Abbot and 96-year-old Maria Hinton are using the Web site to transform a printed dictionary of this oral language into an online database, including sound samples.

The Oneida language is part of the Iroquoian family of languages and related more distantly to Cherokee.

According to Abbot and Hinton, approximately 4,000 words, with about 900 sounds, have been placed on the Web site.

Oneida reservations are located in New York and Ontario, Canada, in addition to Wisconsin.

This news brief about Native American culture is brought to you by Aboriginals Gallery, a suite of online Web sites that offer authentic, guaranteed Native American and other tribal art from the Navajo, Zuni, Hopi and Arctic peoples.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello.My name is Selene Warzecha.I used to live in Green Bay , Wisc.I know this may be asking to much, but is worth it. I lost touch with Frankie and Saundra Klaukowitz. Spelling unsure of.Frankie's grandfather was/is the shaman for the Onieda tribe .he was studying for his upcoming time.He worked with me @NWTC , we were the cleaning crew. He gave me my medicine pouch before I left and left me with a vision that came to pass. I have no idea how to reach him and reintouch. I am so grateful that our paths crossed . I know this is a longshot but maybe somehow someone can assist.My email address is rhrbabe@msn.com Thank you.