Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tribal Art - Who's writing this stuff?

As some of you may know, I also am a writer in addition to being a collector/dealer in tribal art. So I am surfing around looking for the opportunity for some freelance writing assignments.

(Hey, as wonderful as our clients are, and they are, and as resilient as our market is, and it is, I'm always looking for new writing gigs.)

It's more a matter of passion than income. It's a good thing. I am checking out some freelance writing leads and finding offers for 10 articles in a day at $1 per article.

You read it correctly. $10 for 3,000 to 5,000 words, with required appropriate research. Since this would take most writers a full day, that's the equivalent of working for $1 an hour.

What kind of a writer will work for that?

I think the work product those buyers are getting has to be pretty feeble.

I have worked for nothing. But I have done that on my own choice and on a one-time basis.

I would never write 10 articles in a day for $1 each. Never. (I would spend more than that on energy boosters during the process.)

So if you are reading a lot blather on other blogs or web sites, you know why.

As for this blog, I write every word - correction: I had one guest blogger, but I thoroughly edited the submission.

So when you read what's here, whether you find it interesting or not, it is not drivel written by a disinterested hireling who is willing to work for $1 an article.

It also is written by someone who knows and loves the subject. Heck, I would write this blog for no pay. Wait... heck, I do write it for nothing.

Okay. End of rant. Feel free to comment. Please comment.

If you want to read some additional writing about tribal art, visit our web sites at ZuniLink.com, TribalWorks.com, Native-PotteryLink.com and Native-JewelryLink.com

Thank you.

4 comments:

Vikas Bajpai said...

hmmm simple and sober blog..... :)

Gitte Gorzelak said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really like your site, you've got some lovely art pieces :)

Musings from Me said...

Not sure if my previous commnet went through...

I had that writers are so poorly paid.

Anonymous said...

Great blog and love your humor. And your honestness. Good stuff